Who doesn't love to travel? Getting away from work, responsibilities, and reality can be a very refreshing experience. It can also be a huge setback for anybody who has been working hard to get into shape. This is because people tend to indulge while they’re on a trip. Although indulging is a great thing every so often, there are smart ways to indulge while still staying healthy. Here are some ways that I stay healthy on vacation:
- I drink water. Just water. Only water. This is very important because not only is staying hydrated important for your health, but sticking to water keeps me from drinking sugary drinks like lemonade and sodas. Of course, it’s fine to have a margarita or two as a treat, but there are also better options if I want to have an alcoholic beverage. I usually opt for wine in this case but like I said, some indulging is alright from time to time.
- I still exercise. They may not be traditional workouts, but I’m golden as long as I get my heart rate up for at least 30 minutes each day. I do different kinds of workouts depending on what kind of vacation I'm on. One of my favorites is going for a run on the beach if I'm in a more tropical or coastal location. I also enjoy swimming in my hotel pool if one is available. Hikes are always a splendid way to do some sightseeing while doing cardio as well. At the very least, I will exercise in the hotel to stay healthy on vacation. There are many different workouts that can be done with no gym necessary: squats, planks, burpees, push-ups, sit-ups, lunges...you name it.
- I only allow myself one cheat meal a day at most. Usually, I would only allow myself to have a cheat meal once every few weeks. However, vacation is a time to indulge. Indulging is good. Over-indulging is not. I usually have a big and wholesome breakfast with fresh fruits, veggies, lean meats, and other natural foods. Lunch is usually something small but equally healthy.,For dinner, I allow myself to have a meal of my choosing. If I choose to indulge, it will be a small meal, like a slice of pizza. Definitely not the entire thing.
- I stay as active as possible. This is beneficial for a few reasons. First of all, the more active I am, the more I get to know and experience the destination I'm at. Also, having a lot of activities to do keeps me busy. Being busy keeps me from getting bored and most people try to overcome boredom by eating junk food. Another reason why being active is ideal is the obvious fact that when people don't spend long periods of time lounging around, they burn more calories. It's simple math and science.
- I don't worry. Staying healthy shouldn't just be about your body. Your mental health is extremely important too. Worrying all vacation long and dwelling over everything will do more harm than good. If I have a few slip-ups and do some over indulging I forgive my vacationing self and move on, knowing that after I get back from vacation, my healthy habits will fall back into place.
Trying to be as healthy as possible while on a trip is ideal, but it can be tricky to pull off. It is okay to indulge. Doing it smart is the best way to keep a trip from messing with your fitness progress. Nevertheless, it is just as important to not overthink anything and have fun. You are on vacation after all.