The weeks are flying by and summer is just around the corner. We all associate summer with the beach, summer clothes, no school, road trips, etc. For many years I used to feel a sense of dread, as I was overweight and felt so down about the prospect of baring so much skin in the summer sun. It affected my confidence and I felt so angry for letting myself get this way. I would browse through fashion websites and would look at all the beautiful clothes that I couldn’t buy. I would feel jealous of the models in the pictures. I was getting frustrated thinking about how I had let myself go. I had lost all interest in my appearance and didn’t even care whether I brushed my hair or not. On top of all of this, I wore extremely baggy clothes that would make me look even heavier than I was. I lost interest in life. In 2014, I decided to do something about it by eating healthy and working out. It's been a year since I began my journey and I recently received my certificate for Gym and Fitness instruction. I'm also getting married next year to my best friend Darren and have never been happier. All of this happened because I changed the way I thought about food. Now, I eat to fuel my body instead of eating everything in sight. I work out 6 days a week and have one day off for rest. Life has become easier, and I am much more organized and calmer because of working out. I can concentrate better and can deal with every situation that comes my way.
When I was mistreating my body, the smallest of things would tip me over the edge. I was extremely irritable and was a nightmare to be around. Ultimately, I became so disorganized with how I handled my life and negligent of my friends and family. I just wanted to be left alone.
I cannot even begin to describe the benefits of transitioning to a healthy lifestyle and working out. It changed my life so thoroughly: I am a completely different person on the inside as well as the outside. If you really want to change and get healthy, you can. I don’t believe in ‘diets’ as they are only a short term solution. Once you start to eat normal food again, you will pile the weight on. I have attempted so many diets and they do not work: they make you feel deprived and hungry. A lifestyle change is for life. I have never felt deprived or hungry at all since I resolved to maintain to a healthy lifestyle in 2014. I lost 3 stone (42 lbs) in 10 months and so can you!
Here are my best lifestyle tips that'll help you stay healthy for good
- Clear your home of all rubbish food: white bread, white rice, processed foods.
- Go shopping and only buy food that you like and will nourish you
- Have one treat day in the week, but make sure to go straight back to healthy eating and working out the following day.
- If there is a special occasion coming up, enjoy it, but don’t go to mad that you will feel mad at yourself the following day.
- If you feel unmotivated to work out when you come home from school/work /college turn on your favourite music and it will motivate you to workout (I swear by this one).
- Drink hot water and lemon every morning before breakfast; it is amazing for your skin and helping promote weight loss.
- When you are eating your dinner, turn off the TV because it can distract you and you won’t know if you are full or not.
Keep up the good work guys!
These lifestyle tips are by PumpUp’s @DebbieMC1232. Through her weight loss journey, she has been able to motivate and inspire others both on PumpUp and through her own personal fitness page. Connect with her on Twitter and Instagram.