Last month, I shared the recipe for one of my staple vegan dishes: pancakes. I'm going to continue to share some of my favorite vegan staples with this rainbow summer salad recipe. You might question this decision and start thinking, "A salad? That's nothing special." You're probably right. A salad is nothing special: anybody can make a salad by throwing a bunch of ingredients together. But as I've recreated salads over the past years, I began to identify a few must-have ingredients for one that is consistently yummy, energizing and hydrating. These ingredients happen to be perfect for the end summer. They're easy on your wallet and easy on the eyes.
The dressing I created for this is very high in fat (oil). I personally wouldn't recommend consuming too much fat in one go, but I have yet to find a yummy low fat vegan dressing. If you know one, please let me know in the comments below. That's why balance is important. If you recreate this recipe, I recommend that you only use a very small amount of the dressing because it's quite rich.
I served the vegan rainbow summer salad with wraps this time around. Depending on how you end up eating the salad (or your level of hunger) adjust the proportions of the veggie ingredients as needed. Keep the same measurements for the dressing.
Vegan rainbow summer salad
- ½ cucumber
- 2 bell peppers
- 5 mushrooms
- About 2 handful cherry tomatoes
- About 150 g canned corn, drained
- A heaping handful of spinach
- A few pine nuts
- 2 tbsp melted coconut oil
- 2 tbsp walnut oil
- 1 tbsp white balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp black balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp fig balsamic vinegar (optional)
- 1 tbsp agave nectar
- 1 tsp mustard
- A pinch of salt, pepper and herbal salt
- Chop up the cucumber, bell peppers, mushrooms and cherry tomatoes.
- Rinse and drain your corn. Place drained corn in a large bowl and add chopped vegetables.
- In a shallow pan on medium to low heat, roast your pine nuts gently. Turn down heat when slightly browned. Let them cool before adding them to the salad.
- For the dressing, add all ingredients into a resealable jar and shake until well combined.
- Add a bit of dressing to your salad, mix thoroughly and serve with wraps as a main dish or eat the salad as a side dish.
- Either way, enjoy!
Where to find me:
Pin this recipe: