Sauce, cheese, golden brown crust, and toppings galore. If you haven’t guessed it yet I am talking about PIZZA. PumpUp loves their pizza, and we are guessing that you do too! Want to learn how to make a more creative and healthier pizza? Keep reading our blog for a ton of scrumptious pizza recipes that you can feel good about eating!
1. Sweet Potato Pizza Crust Recipe - Vegan and Gluten Free (yay!)
- 1 medium sweet potato, cooked
- 1/2 cup finely ground rolled oats, or oat flour
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tbsp. ground flax + 3 tbsp. water (for flax egg)
- 1 tsp. crushed red pepper
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1 tbsp. flax seeds
- 1/2 tsp. coconut oil
- In a small bowl, add water to flax (flax first), whisk and set aside for flax egg to form
- Preheat oven to 375C
- Microwave sweet potato for 5-6 minutes and scoop out the insides when fully cooked
- Add sweet potato, flax egg, ground oats and spices to food processor and pulse until smooth
- Move dough to a greased baking sheet and knead in coconut oil and flax seeds
- Roll out dough to desired thickness using your hands or a rolling pin
- Optional: Sprinkle some extra seasonings on top of rolled out tough
- Bake for 15 - 20 minutes
- Add desired toppings and return to oven for 5 - 10 more minutes
- Make sure your oats are gluten free if you need a gluten free crust
- Can substitute for 1 large egg if you don’t need/want a vegan crust
- You can use your nutribullet instead of the food processor. The texture was a little different but you can try it in a blender if you don’t have a food processor
2. BBQ Chicken Pizza
- 2 chicken breasts
- Whole Wheat Pita bread
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 2-3 bacon slices, cooked and crumbled
- Red onion, diced
- Favorite BBQ Sauce
- Cilantro, chopped
- Bake or barbecue your chicken in your favourite sauce, then chop.
- Lay your crust out – Whole Wheat Pita Bread
- Spread about 2 tbsp. of Barbecue sauce on top.
- Sprinkle generously with mozzarella cheese.
- Add on top of cheese your chicken, onion, bacon and cilantro.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 12 minutes or until cheese is melted.
3. Pita Pizza:
- 1 pita bread
- 1 to 2 Tablespoons of your favorite pasta sauce
- 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 6 - 7 pieces of pepperoni
- Start with a pita bread.
- Add a tablespoon or two of your favorite pasta sauce.
- Sprinkle on some shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Add some pepperoni.
- Bake at 400 degrees for about 10 - 15 minutes (or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.)
4. Grilled Pizza Masterpiece:
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 packet of yeast
- 2-3 cups of flour
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of sugar
- Your favorite pizza sauce
- 1 ½ cups of cheese
- Your favorite pizza toppings (good ideas are: mushrooms, pepperoni, tomato, red onion and basil
- Combine the warm water, yeast, salt and sugar in a bowl. Stir and let sit for about 5 minutes to allow the yeast to bloom.
- Add the flour a little bit at a time and knead until the dough is no longer sticky.
- Cover the bowl with a damp cloth and set aside for a few hours to rise. The dough should double in size.
- When you are ready to cook your pizza, remove the dough from the bowl and flour a cutting board big enough to roll the dough out on.
- Preheat your grill (you want it really hot when that dough hits it).
- Roll the dough to desired thickness…or thinness.
- Now for the fun part! Roll the dough onto your rolling pin and throw it on your hot grill!
- Lower your grill to medium heat and close the cover.
- Let the dough cook for 2-3 minutes, just long enough to slightly cook the bottom and edges.
- Top with the sauce, cheese, pepperoni, mushrooms, onion and tomato.
- Close the cover and let cook another 5-6 minutes, or until the cheese is nice and melted and the crust is cooked.
- Remove from the grill and let cool for about 5 minutes.
- Top with some basil and dig in!
5. Four Cheese Shrimp Scampi Pizza
- 1 thin, precooked pizza shell
Ingredients for Ricotta:
- ½ cup part-skim ricotta
- 2 tbsp. milk or cream
- ¼ cup freshly shredded Parmigiano-Reggiano
- ¼ cup chopped fresh Italian flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tbsp. very finely diced onion
- ¼ tsp. of salt
- A pinch fresh cracked pepper
Ingredients for Shrimp:
- 1 lb. large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 large cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tbsp. unsalted butter
- The juice of ½ a lemon
Ingredients for Toppings:
- 1/3 cup julienne-cut, sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 ½ cup shredded fontina cheese
- Couple pinches fresh cracked pepper
- Heat the pizza stone in the oven set to 425F.
- In a bowl, combine the ingredients for the ricotta sauce.
- For the shrimp, heat the butter in a large, nonstick skillet on high heat.
- Once the butter starts to bubble, add the shrimp and garlic.
- Spread the shrimp in a layer and cook briefly to just sear one side, then flip to sear the other (you want to just brown the sides and leave them raw in the middle – they’ll finish cooking in the oven).
- Add the lemon juice and cook briefly to reduce the juice a bit. Remove from the heat.
- Take the pizza stone out of the oven. Lay out the crust on the stone.
- Spread the ricotta sauce over the crust. Top with the shrimp and all the garlic-butter.
- Top with the sun-dried tomatoes and cheese.
- Finish the top with a little pepper.
- Cook for 10-15 minutes until crust is crispy and cheese is lightly browned.
6. Spinach, Kale, and Garlic Pizza
- Pizza dough, homemade is best
- Fresh mozzarella cheese-sliced and pressed between paper towels
- Olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced thin
- 2-3 cups baby spinach/baby kale mix (or equal parts of each)
- Parmesan cheese
- Basil-Kale Pesto, see below, or substitute in your favorite pesto
- Eggs, optional
- Heat your oven. Make sure that it is really hot so you don’t lose a lot of your heat when transferring your pizza into the oven.
- Stretch your dough into a disk, leaving a bit of a border around the outside. I always hand stretch it; so if it isn’t a perfect circle, don’t worry!
- Heat a sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add a tablespoon of olive oil and the sliced garlic, let sweat for 30 seconds, or until fragrant. Add your spinach and kale, and let wilt down. Remove from heat.
- Spread a layer of pesto on the dough, and then top with the sliced mozzarella.
- Squeeze out any moisture out of the spinach/kale/garlic, and then evenly top your pizza.
- Grate a bit of parmesan over top, then bake until the crust is browned (10-15 minutes)
- Top with soft-cooked eggs and a bit more fresh parmesan, and enjoy!
7. Greek Yogurt Margherita Pizza With Arugula Salad
- 1 recipe for Greek Yogurt Pizza Dough
- 2 vine-ripened tomatoes sliced and seeded.
- 1 lb. fresh mozzarella cheese
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2-3 cups arugula
- Juice of ½ lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 500 degrees.
- Prepare the pizza dough. Brush a pizza pan or cookie sheet with olive oil or non-stick spray. Pat the dough out with floured fingers to a thin crust.
- Spread the dough with the 2 tablespoons of oil and then spread the garlic over the oil. Sprinkle the oregano and salt and pepper evenly over the crust.
- Arrange the tomatoes evenly over the crust. Season the tomatoes with salt and pepper as well. Then spread out the mozzarella evenly.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes.
- While the pizza is baking, toss the arugula with the lemon juice and 1 tablespoon olive oil and salt and pepper.
- Once the pizza is baked, top with the arugula salad and enjoy!!
8. Grilled Pizza with Pesto, Ricotta and Smoked Mozzarella
- Pizza dough
- Mozzarella cheese, grated
- Fresh Basil
- Fresh Tomato, Sliced
- Pre-heat grill to medium
- Roll out dough to desired thickness
- Use cornmeal on both sides of the pizza dough so that it won’t stick to the grates.
- Brush both sides with olive oil.
- Grill dough until it begins to brown and gets grill marks.
- Dough on the grill cooks quickly, so keep an eye on it! Flip it over and grill the other side.
- Spread pesto to within an inch of the edge of the cooked pizza dough, add dollops of Ricotta, and some grated cheese.
- Return to grill, to finish cooking, and heat through.
- Remove from the grill and top with fresh tomato slices and fresh basil.
9. Chicken Alfredo Pizza
- 16 oz. Dough ball
- 2 tbsp. Butter
- 1 Garlic Clove, minced
- 1 tsp. Red Pepper flakes
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- 1 tbsp. All-purpose Flour
- ¼ cup Parmesan, grated or shredded
- Additional Flour for work surface
- 1-2 cups Chicken, cooked and diced
- 2-3 cups Mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 cup Tomatoes, diced
- 1-2 tbsp. Basil, crushed
- 2-3 tbsp. Olive Oil, for brushing crust
- Cornmeal, for pizza stone or tray
- Preheat oven to 375 Degrees. Spread a bit of Cornmeal over the pizza stone, and then place in oven to preheat.
- In a medium saucepan, melt the Butter over medium heat.
- Add the Red Pepper Flakes (adjust based on your desired ‘kick’) and minced Garlic, cooking about 1 minute or until fragrant.
- Mix in the Flour; cook until light tan in color.
- Mix in the Cream, reduce heat and simmer until thickened, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the Parmesan, stirring until melted in, then remove saucepan from heat.
- Spread some flour on your work surface and roll out the Dough until it’s about a 13-inch diameter.
- Being very careful, remove the pizza stone from oven. Sprinkle a bit more cornmeal on the bottom of the pizza dough, and then place it on the hot pizza stone.
- Spread the sauce over the pizza, almost to the edges, and then cover with about 3/4 of the Mozzarella.
- Top with the Chicken, Tomatoes and the remaining Mozzarella, then sprinkle the top with the Basil.
- Use a basting brush to lightly spread Olive Oil on the edges of the crust (helps prevent burning).
- Place in the oven (remember the stone is hot, so be careful), and bake about 20-25 minutes, or until the crust has turned golden brown and the cheese is all melted.
- Remove and slice as desired. Enjoy!!!
10. Turkey Pizza
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 ¾ cups canned crushed tomatoes
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 (10-ounce) can refrigerated pizza crust dough
- Cooking spray
- 2 cups chopped skinned cooked turkey
- ½ cup (2 ounces) shredded provolone cheese
- ½ cup (2 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°
- Heat olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; sauté 4 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes, salt, and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 15 minutes or until thick, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in parsley and basil. Remove from heat. Cool completely.
- Roll dough into a 10-inch circle on a lightly floured surface. Place dough on a (12-inch) pizza pan or baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Crimp edges of dough with fingers to form a rim.
- Spread tomato mixture over crust, leaving a ¼ -inch border.
- Top with turkey; sprinkle with cheeses.
- Bake at 400° for 10 minutes or until golden brown
11. Roasted Bell Pepper and Olive Pizza
- 2 large yellow bell, 2 large red bell peppers
- ½ cup sliced green olives
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons drained capers
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 (1-pound) Italian cheese - flavoured pizza crusts
- 6 tablespoons (1 1/2 ounces) freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat broiler. Cut bell peppers in half lengthwise, and discard seeds and membranes.
- Place bell pepper halves, skin sides up, on a foil-lined baking sheet, and flatten with hand.
- Broil 15 for minutes or until blackened. Place in a zip-top plastic bag, and seal. Let stand 15 minutes. Peel and cut into strips.
- Combine bell peppers, green olives, and next 5 ingredients (olives through black pepper) in a bowl.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Divide the bell pepper mixture evenly among pizza crusts; sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake at 350° for 7 minutes or until cheese melts. Cut each into 12 wedges.
12. Grilled Pizza with Garlic Chicken and Green Chile
Ingredients for Crust (if you want to make your own):
- 3 cups of flour
- 1 1/2 cups of warm water
- 1 cup of whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 package of dry yeast
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt
- 1 tablespoon of honey
Ingredients for Toppings:
- 4 chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper
- ¼ cup of olive oil
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- Button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 4oz can of green chile
- 8 oz. mozzarella cheese, grated
- Combine water, oil, yeast and honey in a small bowl and let set until it bubbles.
- In a large mixing bowl and using a dough hook on your mixer, mix the flours and salt.
- Slowly add the yeast mixture and knead on low speed for about 10 minutes, adding additional flour to prevent sticking to the sides of the bowl.
- Turn the dough out on floured board and knead by hand for about 1 minute longer.
- Place in a well-oiled large bowl and turn the dough so it’s covered with oil. Cover with a clean tea towel and place in a warm area.
- Let rise for about 30 minutes until double in size, punch down and divide the dough into 8 separate balls.
- Place the balls of dough onto a greased cookie sheet and let rise again for about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile place the ¼ cup of olive in a small dish and add the minced garlic.
- Salt and pepper the chicken breasts and place in a large zip lock bag, pour in the olive oil with the minced garlic.
- Place in fridge and let marinate for at least 1 hour, can be marinated overnight if you want.
- Light the grill and when the coals are ready, remove the chicken breasts from marinade and grill until done about 10-12 minutes per side.
- Let chicken rest on a cutting board for 10 minutes and then chop into bite-size pieces.
- Roll the bread dough rounds into personal pizza size, brush with olive oil. Place on grill for about 2-3 minutes until the bread is lightly browned.
- Turn and brush with olive oil, spread the green Chile on the pizza dough.
- Place sliced mushrooms, chicken pieces and cover with plenty of cheese.
- Close grill and cook for about 5 minutes.
So try out these inventive and tasty pizza recipes next time you are craving a good old slice of pepperoni!