It’s all about the Pancakes today PumpUp family. Take away the butter, go easy on the syrup, follow these delicious pancake recipes and you’ll have yourself a healthy hearty breakfast of delicious pancakes!
Pancakes are so filled with so much yummy, fluffy, goodness; it’s crazy not to love this breakfast food. Unfortunately just 2 pancakes stacked with butter and syrup can clock in at 520 calories… YIKES! So we need a solution for this dilemma stat. Cue the healthy pancakes that we can eat with no regrets!
BLUEBERRY PIE PANCAKES
- ½ cup blueberries
- 1/3 cup flour (whole wheat/ spelt/ gluten-free)
- 2 tbsp. rolled oats
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- 2/3 tsp. baking powder
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp. sugar or 1 packet stevia (omit if you don’t want sweet pancakes)
- 1/3 cup milk of choice
- Unless you like the taste of fat-free pancakes, add 1 tbsp. oil and reduce milk by that amount.
- Combine dry ingredients in a bowl, then add wet.
- Mix, but don’t over mix.
- Cook on an oiled (or sprayed) pan, on low /medium, flipping each pancake once.
- Top with honey, syrup, or fruit!
CHOCOLATE LOVERS PANCAKE
- 1/2 banana
- 1/4 cup egg whites
- 1 tbsp. flax seed
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 scoop chocolate whey nutrimeal (protein powder with fibre and complex carbs included)
- 1 tbsp. cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 small handful 70% cocoa bits chopped up
- 1 handful of blueberries
- (I add half a scoop of fibergy powder for some extra fibre but if you don’t have any, not necessary perhaps add some wheat bran)
- Mash Bananas
- Add egg white and whip until it doubles in size and are foamy
- Add the rest of the dry ingredients and mix together
- Mix in blueberries and chocolate
- Scoop batter into a non-stick pan and spread out with spatula (should be quite thick)
- Cook until the top looks like it is congealing and then flip!
WHOLE WHEAT VANILLA STRAWBERRY PANCAKES
- 1 cup of whole wheat flour
- 1 cup of skim milk
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp. organic vanilla extract
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. table salt
- 2 tbsp. brown sugar
- 3/4 cup slice strawberries
- In a large bowl mix the flour, brown sugar, baking powder and salt
- Add the wet ingredients, the milk, egg, vegetable oil, and vanilla extract
- Fold in strawberries
- Heat a sauté pan or griddle to medium high heat
- In batches, add pancake batter to pan and let cook for 3-5 minutes or until batter bubbles
- Flip over for another 2-3 minutes
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar and fresh strawberries.
LEMON BLUEBERRY QUIONA PANCAKES
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 3 large egg whites
- 1/3 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons of milk of your choice (skim, soy, almond, coconut)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup fresh blueberries
- In a medium bowl, whisk together quinoa, flour, baking powder, and salt. In another medium bowl, whisk together egg whites, yogurt, milk, and brown sugar until smooth
- Add egg mixture to flour mixture and whisk to combine
- Add vanilla and lemon juice and whisk again. Next gently fold in blueberries
- Lightly coat a large nonstick skillet or griddle with cooking spray and heat over medium
- Drop batter by 1/4 cup onto skillet. Cook until bubbles appear on top, about 2 minutes. Flip cakes and cook until golden brown on underside, 2 minutes. Wipe skillet clean and repeat with more melted butter and remaining batter
- Makes about 8 pancakes. Top with fruit preserves, peanut butter, or maple syrup.
- ½ cup quick oats, dry
- ½ cup low-fat cottage cheese
- 3 egg whites
- 1 tablespoon brown rice protein powder, vanilla
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Fresh blueberries (optional)
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup/honey (optional)
- Combine quick oats, cottage cheese, egg whites, and protein powder in a blender. Mix well until it resembles traditional pancake batter.
- Heat a large pan over low heat, and lightly coat with nonstick cooking spray. Pour in all the batter to the centre of the pan. Let it cook for approximately 3 minutes until the sides easily lift. Flip pancake and cook for an additional two minutes.
- Serve with fresh fruit, maple syrup, or the topping of your choice.
SUPER SIMPLE FLUFFY PANCAKES
From PumpUp Member @liddyam
- 2 eggs
- 1 ripe banana
- Separate the egg whites from the yolks and beat the whites separately until stiff peaks
- Then fold to incorporate – this makes them fluffy
- Add in the mashed banana
- Drizzle honey all on the pancakes and add some fruit on top!
BANANA GOODNESS PANCAKES W/ YOGURT TOPPING
From PumpUp Member @turquoiseturtle55
- ½ a banana
- 1 egg
- ½ cup of oats
- 1/8 cup of vanilla Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup of frozen blueberries
- Combine egg, banana, and oats into a bowl and mix until they are blended together
- In a separate bowl mash the frozen blueberries and add the yogurt. Mix together. (This will be your topping)
- Cook your pancakes on medium heat until bubbles start to pop and flip.
- Use the blueberries and yogurt mix to spread on top of the pancakes for a sweet treat!
A tip for the maple syrup: Try substituting with some yogurt, or fruits to give it that sweetness. You could also try putting jam, peanut butter or nutella on your pancakes! If you are a die hard fan of maple syrup use the real stuff – it’s at least better for you than the artificial syrup!
Happy Pancaking all!