This year, my morning routine has gone through a lot of changes and experimentation. I've finally established one that sets the tone for a positive, more focused, and intentionally happier day. If we begin each day with a positive, productive mindset, the rest of our waking hours will follow suit. A good morning routine may lead to increased productivity because our willpower is often highest in the morning. When we start each day strong, we give ourselves the best head-start possible.
For me, it all started when I woke up and got fed up with running around like a mad woman every morning to get everything done. When your morning routine is disorganized, it's hard to cross things off of your daily checklist. A few actions changed that for me.
I wanted to share 3 simple steps for you to create your own rockin’ morning routine - it can adapt to any schedule, including your own.
As an extra bonus, I’ve created a free worksheet to help you record your answers and create your routine!
There is no right or wrong way to create your morning routine. Your way of doing things will be different from another person, and that’s perfectly fine.
A powerful morning routine will…
- Fill you up with positive energy.
- Make you feel energised
- Empower you to reach your goals
- Leave you focused, clear-minded + intentional about where your energy needs to be directed during the day
In short – it will serve to uplift and motivate you + set you up for a productive and positive day!
1. WHICH ACTIVITIES MAKE YOU FEEL GOOD?
Compile a list of activities make you feel good + energized.
Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- A yoga routine
- Exercise + get your body moving
- Establish a meditation routine (5-15 minutes)
- Drinking a warm glass of water with lemon juice
- Skip coffee and go for green tea
- Repeat positive affirmations
- Read something positive + uplifting; personal development is exercise for your brain.
- Write in your personal journal
- Write down 3 things you are grateful for
- Set your daily intention
- Set your One Big Goal for the day
- Eat a nourishing & healthy breakfast
- Skip checking your email and social media.
- Play with your pets.
- Enjoy extra time with your children.
- Go for a run
- Spread kindness + do something positive for someone else. When you lift others you automatically boost yourself + it feels good!
- If you work from home, find a few things on your ‘important list’ to accomplish before the rest of the world wakes up and pull you left and right.
2. HOW MUCH TIME CAN YOU DEDICATE TO A MORNING ROUTINE?
This is super important! I can’t stress that enough.
You may not be ready to commit to waking up an hour earlier just yet – that is completely fine. I wasn’t a morning person in the beginning. I had to start somewhere too.
Simply start with where you are right now and make the commitment to waking up 10 minutes earlier for you to dedicate to adding a dose of happiness into your morning.
Even if you have 10 extra minutes you can still create a wonderfully enriching morning routine.
Now go back and review your list and circle the items that you can incorporate in your routine based on the time you have available.
3. WHICH TOOLS CAN SUPPORT YOUR NEW ROUTINE?
Now that you’ve decided what will be part of your new morning routine, I want you to think about which tools and apps can support you each day.
Here are a few I love….
- Stop, Breath & Think
- Headspace: Meditation techniques for mindfulness, stress relief & peace of mind
GOALS + JOURNALING
Even though, I am more of a paper person, I’ve found these apps to be pretty cool to use.
EXERCISE + YOGA
- Gabrielle Bernstein Spirit Junkie app.
- Louise Hay daily affirmations.
- Evernote (super handy for keeping all of your affirmations organised!)
I’d love to challenge you to see what changes you can make to overhaul your current morning routine so you can create a positive and productive routine that sets you up for success.
What tweaks or additions will you be making to your routine?