When it comes to fitness, there’s a lot to know. While we can’t possibly teach you all there is to know in a single blog post, we can teach you how to avoid the biggest mistakes you can make. Here’s a list of the top 5 mistakes that you’ve likely seen in action before, but may not have noticed!
- Not Eating: Half the battle in the gym is what you bring with you (or in you, rather). Whether your goal is to be healthy, lose weight, or put on muscle, without proper nutrition you’re not going to see results . Try eating 30-60 minutes before going to the gym - ideally foods with B vitamins (eg. yogurt, a banana, peanut butter) to help you release your energy and some carbs (eg. whole wheat toast) to supply you with energy.
- Lack of Sleep: Without a good night’s sleep your body doesn’t have enough time to sufficiently recover from workouts. Try to get 6-8 hours of sleep, especially after a workout.
- Swinging Weights: We’ve all seen this one before, but did you know it’s actually dangerous? Along with not receiving the muscle gains you want, you can get seriously injured. Lower the amount of weight you’re lifting if you swing your weights.
- Avoiding Cardio or Weights: A lot of people tend to avoid cardio if trying to put on muscle or avoid weights if trying to improve their cardio. Fact is: weight training and cardio go hand-in-hand. To stay healthy, it’s important to balance working your heart (via cardio) and your other muscles (via weight training).
- Not Having a Routine: How are you supposed to know what to do and how to do it if you don’t plan out your exercise program. This is the most confusing part of working out. If you don’t feel like researching endlessly, let PumpUp take out the confusion by building the workout perfect for you and adjusting it to you as you go!
And there you have it - 5 mistakes that you’ll never do again! Let me know if you have any questions or can think of any other big mistakes you see.