We are gleeful to share these gluten-free recipes from our luminous member Jen! She says, “Through proper nutrition and staying active I have given myself the one thing I never thought I could: happiness.” Read all about scrumptious meals like her sweet cod and pineapple slaw below! If you recreate them, use the hashtag #MindFulMeals and tag her on PumpUp (@jenac) or Instagram (@jenxx4)!
Read more about Jen below!
My name is Jen, I’m 22 years old and live in Canada. My Mum and brother have always lived quite a healthy lifestyle, but it wasn’t until mid-April of 2014 that I started my journey of health as well. Before then, I always looked at food as the enemy. I constantly ate to make up for feeling bad about my physical appearance. It was all downhill until I reached 190lbs.The day I found that out I remember taking a long look in the mirror and telling myself "If you don’t like it, change it. Don’t hide it, don’t fake it, and don’t make excuses for it. Change it." I started to exercise consistently, and I ate healthier too. I cut out the candy and eventually started a wheat free diet.
My journey is focused around building a better me, while being wheat free. Not just the physical, but the mental as well. Through proper nutrition and staying active I have given myself the one thing I never thought I could, happiness.
Almost all of my creations are Gluten Free!!
Please feel free to recreate anything you see here, and don’t forget to hashtag #MindfulMeals and tag @jenxx4 on Instagram so I can see your healthy choices!
Tuna Filled Cucumber Cups
- 1 thick cucumber (the thicker the bigger the cup)
- 5 Cherry Tomatoes (finely sliced)
- 1/3 cup of chopped orange/yellow peppers (combined)
- 1 slice of purple onion
- 1 ½ tablespoons of Hellmann’s mayonnaise
- ½ can of chunk light tuna (you may use any tuna of your choice, 60g – 70g)
- Take your cucumber and cut off the ends, each end that you cut off should be about 2inches long. You won’t need the middle portion for this meal so you can put it away.
- Take a spoon and scoop out the cucumber insides so that you’re left with cucumber cups.
- Cut off a tiny slice on the bottom just to ensure that the cups will stand. (do not take off a lot as the tuna might run through the bottom of the cup)
- Combine tomatoes, orange/yellow peppers, purple onion, mayonnaise, and tuna into a bowl.
- Spoon bowled ingredients into cucumber cups.
- Garnish cups as you like, and add fruit and veggies on the side to complete the meal.
Shrimp n Squash
- ½ of a spaghetti squash
- Olive oil
- Seasoning (I used garlic powder, ginger, cumin, sea salt, and hot pepper flakes)
- 300g package of shrimp (how much you decide to use will depend on the number of servings. I used the full package which gave me about 4 servings)
- 1 medium tomato (chopped)
- ¼ of an onion (finely chopped)
- 1 tablespoon of basil (finely chopped)
- Olive oil
- Seasoning (I used garlic powder, sea salt, and hot pepper flakes)
- 1 cup of spinach
- Take ½ of the spaghetti squash and scoop out the seeds
- Drizzle or spray lightly with olive oil
- Season to taste. (garlic powder, ginger, cumin, sea salt, and hot pepper flakes)
- Put in oven and bake for 30-40 minutes at 400F
- Put aside and let cool.
- Drizzle olive oil in a pan that is on medium heat.
- Add chopped tomatoes, onions, ad fresh basil.
- Season to taste. (garlic powder, sea salt, and hot pepper flakes)
- Add shrimp and allow to cook for about 4-5 minutes with some stirring. (you should be able to tell when its nearly done as the colour will change slightly)
- When you think the shrimp is done add spinach.
- Let spinach cook for about 30sec – 1 min then turn off stove.
- Use fork to peel away at cooled spaghetti squash (should look like noodles).
Put some spaghetti squash on a plate and share out your shrimp on top of it. Enjoy!
Salmon Topped Crackers
- Brown rice crackers
- Cream cheese of your choice
- Packaged smoked salmon
- Black pepper
- Cherry tomatoes
- Take a few brown rice crackers and lightly spread cream cheese on it.
- Take packaged smoked salmon and place a small slice on top
- Top each cracker with a cherry tomato that has been cut in half.
- Sprinkle some black pepper over top of the crackers.
Sweet Cod + Pineapple Slaw
- 4oz filet of cod
- 1 cup of spinach
- Seasoning (sea salt, pepper, roasted garlic)
Sweet Potato Mash
- 3 medium, peeled sweet potatoes
- ¼ almond milk
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 1 cup of chopped pineapple
- ¼ cup of finely chopped red + orange peppers
- ½ cup of rinsed black beans (from a can)
- 1/8 cup of finely chopped purple onion
- Chopped cilantro and chives to taste
Sweet Potato Mash
- Dice sweet potatoes into 1inch cubes
- Boil until tender
- Drain hot water
- Add almond milk and butter to pot with sweet potatoes
- Add seasoning
- Mash until mixture is smooth
- Add pineapple, peppers, onion, black beans, chives, and cilantro to bowl and stir.
- Heat fry pan with 1 tablespoon of olive oil (pan should be on medium heat)
- Season fish filet to taste
- Pan fry 3-4 minutes on each side
- Add spinach to pan and sauté for 1-2 minutes
Combine Sweet Potato Mash, Pineapple Slaw and Cod on a plate and Enjoy!