It's almost Valentine's Day, so you're probably going to eat chocolate this month. I immediately thought of the brownies that my mum made me for Christmas this year. I went to find the recipe and I put my own spin on it. They turned out perfectly and these vegan brownies are great to share with you guys. Why?
- They're healthier for your body. This vegan brownie recipe is full of healthy fats from avocado and dark chocolate
- They're healthy for your mind. Rather than resisting your cravings and bingeing later on, it's better to indulge on healthier substitutions. Plus, chocolate makes us plain happy (they stimulate the release of endorphins)!
If you're cringing because you heard the word avocado and chocolate together in the same sentence, don't be scared. Try these vegan brownies - I promise you'll love them. I used to be the biggest skeptic whenever I saw avocado on the ingredient list for dessert recipes - they aren't so bad!
I personally decorated the brownies with animal faces because it's such a fun thing to do! If you want to give these vegan brownies a more romantic and Valentine-like touch, feel free to them differently (or not at all).
- 1 avocado
- 120 ml plant oil (I used “Alba oil”)
- 240 g whole spelt flour
- 120 g cocoa powder
- 200 g cane sugar
- 100 g dark cane sugar
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 300 ml water
- 4 tsp vinegar (I used some kind of cider vinegar)
- Vanilla and cinnamon to taste
- 170 g dark chocolate
- Mash up your avocado really well and blend it with oil
- Add flour, cocoa powder, both cane sugars, baking soda, water, vinegar, vanilla and cinnamon and blend everything until you have a smooth dough.
- Chop up your chocolate and blend it into the dough.
- Pour the dough into a baking pan of your choice and let it bake in the oven for 15-20 min (However, depending on the flour you used, it can take up to 30 min for the brownies to get ready. Just testthe dough with a toothpick after 15 min and then if necessary at 5 min intervals until the dough is still gooey but not too liquidy anymore).
- Let your vegan brownies cool down COMPLETELY before carefully removing them from your pan.
- Decorate them if you wish to.
Find me on Instagram @vegan_lis and on PumpUp @_lis