Slow Cooker Spiced Oatmeal
This is a recipe by PumpUp member @dashdoze, an aspiring dietitian with a passion for healthy living. Find her blog here.
I don’t know about you, but for me preparing breakfast in the morning is too much effort! When I wake up I’m always feeling peckish and wish I could just snap my fingers and have my breakfast appear. Although I haven’t figured out how to master that trick yet, my trusty slow cooker is my life-saver for having my breakfast ready and waiting for me when I wake up.
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk (or milk of choice)
- 1 tsp imitation vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon (less or more if you prefer)
- 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice (less or more if you prefer)
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- If your slow cooker is not non-stick, spray now with cooking spray to cover the bottom of the pot.
- Add all the ingredients to your slow cooker.
- Stir to combine.
- Select your slow cooker setting and cook for 5 hours.
- In the morning, if any liquid remains, stir to combine. The longer the oatmeal sits, especially in a cold environment (fridge or freezer), the thicker it will become.
- Add toppings of your choice and enjoy! :)
- Fresh fruit
- Dried fruit
- Nuts (e.g. almonds, pistachios)
- Seeds (e.g. sunflower, pepitas)
- Chia seeds
- Cereal (e.g. puffed rice or corn)
- Cottage cheese
- Nut butter (e.g. peanut butter or almond butter)
- Natural sweetener (e.g. maple syrup, honey, agave, rice malt syrup)