Dry skin can feel uncomfortable and irritating. If you’re tired of going through bottle after bottle of expensive remedies, give the following homemade recipes for dry skin a try. They’re sure to leave you feeling healthy, radiant, and budget-savvy!
Skin care recipes for dry skin
Oatmeal can provide fantastic relief from the irritation of dry skin and eczema, and turning it from a breakfast cereal into a world-class moisturizer is surprisingly easy. Here’s what you’ll need:
- ¾ cup of coconut oil
- ½ cup of oats
- 5 drops of essential oil (lavender, frankincense, or thyme)
- A small, lidded jar
- Once you have all your ingredients ready, just follow these easy steps:
- Grind the oats in a food processor or coffee grinder
- Heat the coconut oil on the stove until it becomes completely liquified (this shouldn’t take long)
- Turn off the heat and mix the oats with the oil
- As the mixture thickens to a custard-like texture, pour it into a jar
- Once the cream has cooled completely, it’s ready to use! Simply apply as needed and feel the difference.
Image courtesy of Shutterstock
This easy little recipe only has three components, but it’s sure to make you feel like a million bucks. To make this handy moisturizer, stop by your local co-op or farmer’s market and pick up the following natural all-natural ingredients:
- 1 block of cocoa butter
- 1 jar of coconut oil
- 1 bottle of almond oil
You’ll need approximately ½ cup of cocoa butter, ½ cup of coconut oil, and ¼ cup of almond oil, so measure out your ingredients and then complete these simple steps:
- Place your ingredients in a heat-proof bowl
- Set the bowl on the stove over a pot of simmering water
- Stir until completely melted
- Place the bowl in the fridge or freezer until the mixture solidifies
- Using a mixer, whip the mixture until it becomes light and fluffy
- Store in an airtight container
Now that your homemade body butter is ready to use, give it a try. If you like the results but would prefer a more scented variety, try adding an essential oil such as lavender to your next jar.
Photo via PumpUp member @thewholetara .
If it’s sun, sea, and sand that are drying your skin out, try this great summery lotion. It’s all-natural, easy to make, and it smells great. You’ll need:
- ½ cup of coconut oil (coconut oil is the common denominator in all the best home skin care recipes, so try and keep some on hand)
- 2 tablespoons of shea butter
- 2 drops of almond essential oil
- 1 grapefruit (zest grapefruit before beginning)
- 2 teaspoons of tapioca starch
Once your grapefruit is zested and you have all your ingredients measured and ready, simply implement the following steps:
- Place ingredients in a large mixing bowl
- Whip ingredients with a high-powered mixer on medium setting for approximately 30 seconds
- Turn mixer onto high and whip for approximately 4 more minutes
- Once mixture is light and fluffy, add tapioca starch and mix for 30 more seconds
- Transfer mixture into a airtight jar
This moisturizer can only be stored at room temperature for about a month, so don’t be afraid to apply generously!
While homemade recipes for dry skin are great you experience moderate to mild irrtation, if you have a more intense skin problem you may want to combine natural treatments with an over-the-counter remedy. If the above recipes don’t work perfectly for you, don’t be afraid to experiment. Inventing your own moisturizing butters is fun, easy, and great for your skin. As you get better at creating your remedies, you can even give them as birthday, mother’s day, and Christmas gifts.
About the author
Gwen Lewis is a writer and makeup artist based in Southern California. Because of her passion for beauty and health, she hopes to help others not just look great but feel great, whether through makeup or her writing. In her free time, she enjoy shopping and pick-up soccer games with her friends.