Pancakes are one of my staple breakfasts. They're super easy to make, they load you up with carbs, and they can be made with very little fat. There are a million different ways to modify (and eat) vegan pancakes. This particular vegan chocolate cherry pancake recipe was inspired by cherry chocolate muffins that my mum used to make for me when I was a kid. One day, I was thinking about new ways to spice up my pancakes. Because we had cherries at home (...and because I am a total chocolate addict), I decided to turn my mum's muffins into vegan cherry chocolate pancakes. But are these pancakes healthy? In my opinion, they are. They're vegan: no hormones are swimming around the milk that I used. Make sure that you look for low-fat vegan milk. I'd recommend oat milk and good-quality vegan dark chocolate. Fun fact: The best quality chocolate is often vegan, even though it isn't certified as such. When you eat cacao (raw dark chocolate), there isn't any need for milk in your chocolate!
Vegan cherry chocolate pancakes
- 100g (or ¾ cup) whole wheat flour
- 170 ml (or at least ½ cup) of the vegan milk of your choice
- 20g (or about 2 tbsp) agave nectar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- a dash of cinnamon
- 25g (or about 4 tbsp) chopped chocolate
- About 15 chopped cherries (this is quite much you can use fewer if you want)
- 1 Tbsp cocoa powder (optional)
- Mix flour, milk, agave, vanilla, cinnamon, and optional cocoa powder in a bowl.
- Add in the chopped chocolate and mix again.
- Fold in chopped cherries and mix them in carefully.
- Heat a wide skillet for about two minutes on full power and then lower the heat to medium. My pan does not require the use of any oil but if your pan does, coat it lightly.
- Pour the pancake batter in the pan (1 tbsp per pancake) and flip them over when the batter begins to bubble and become firm at the top sides of the pancake.
- Repeat until all your batter has been used. Arrange your pancakes on a plate and top them whatever you desire. I used banana slices, melted vegan chocolate (told you, I'm an addict), chopped nuts and agave nectar.