What's your favorite kind of chocolate? Finding healthy chocolate alternatives can get pretty difficult. Convenience store chocolate is usually loaded with ingredients that I wouldn't even know how to pronounce! Though some reckon that 70% chocolate bars are better, even those can be filled with nasty chemicals and refined sugar. I've come up with a healthy version of Reese's Peanut Buttercups. You'll only need 5 ingredients, and you can probably find most of these in your pantry. Ready for some chocolatey goodness?
You can adjust the proportion of these ingredients depending on what you like. You can also replace the nut butter with different fillings: date paste, berry jam or banana ice cream (do this and you won't be sorry)!
Recipe: 5 ingredient vegan peanut butter cups
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cacao powder
- 1/2 tablespoon nut butter (I used peanut butter)
- Sweetener of choice (I used honey)
- Pinch of salt, if desired
1. Melt coconut oil in the microwave for 30-40 seconds.
2. Mix together coconut oil, cacao powder and honey, or the sweetener of your choice.
3. Pour half of the mixture in a silicone baking cup (you can use paper liners or any small container)
4. Place the baking cup in the freezer until hardened.
5. Get the baking cup out of the freezer and add in your nut butter of choice.
6. Return to freezer for a couple minutes to help the nut butter set a little bit.
7. Get it out once again, and pour the rest of the cacao mixture.
8. Return to freezer. Once it's completely hardened you can get it out, garnish if you want and and enjoy!