Balsamic Glazed Brussels Sprouts with BBQ Coconut Bacon
I never ate brussels sprouts growing up. I used to hate them! But now, trying different recipes and flavors, I have come to ADORE brussels sprouts. This recipe is so simple, and tastes amazingly decadent, without the fat from bacon, yet without skimping on any flavor! You can totally use bacon or pancetta in this recipe, but I kept it simple and tried a vegan version with BBQ flavored coconut bacon (which is AMAZING). This recipe is low fat, gluten free, vegan, and full of flavor, nutrients, vitamins, and fiber! You’ll want to try this ASAP!
Original blog post here: http://www.g-freerd.com/balsamic-glazed-brussels-w-bbq-coconut-bacon/
- 2 TBSP EV Olive Oil
- 1 large bag of Brussels sprouts
- 1 TBSP Earth balance vegetable oil butter
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ⅛ cup BBQ Coconut Bacon (Phoney Baloney’s brand)
- 1 TBSP balsamic glaze (I used Trader Joe’s brand)
- Wash brussels carefully.
- Chop off ends of each brussels sprout and discard.
- Slice brussels in half, and place all brussels in a large frying pan with the olive oil.
- Keep the brussels pieces that flake off, as they will fry into perfect crispy bites.
- Sprinkle brussels with salt, pepper, and garlic.
- Start heat on medium heat and add butter.
- Stir brussels until butter is melted and all is mixed.
- Leave on medium heat and let cook for 5-8 minutes with lid on.
- Check brussels and stir throughout.
- Add coconut bacon, mix throughout, and cook under lid for 5 more minutes or until brussels are browned but not burnt.
- Let brussels cool once done cooking, and add to serving dish.
- Drizzle balsamic glaze as desired on top of dish.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge.
Try a new veggie this year! Brussels sprouts taste incredible when made in a flavorful way. :)