I'm the kind of person who finds it very hard to say "no" to cookies. Can you blame me? They are without a doubt my biggest weakness. Being the cookie monster that I am, I came up with a much healthier alternative.
I'm pretty surprised that it took me so long to health-ify the legendary chocolate chip cookie. I guess I was a little afraid they wouldn't turn out so well. In all honesty, these babies are freaking amazing! They're just as good (if not better) than a regular cookie. So sue me.
Crispy and golden on the outside, soft on the inside, melty chocolate chunks...they're the stuff of dreams. I'm not stopping there: these cookies contain no refined sugar, no wheat, no oil, no eggs and no milk. They're naturally high in protein, and naturally high in everything that is good for you! The best part? You can pretty much eat the dough unbaked, as is.
Wheat-free chocolate chunk cookies
- 1 can of chickpeas (257g drained)
- 1/3 cup oat flour
- 2 tbsp unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tbsp honey (agave or maple syrup if vegan)
- 1 tbsp nut butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- Dark chocolate chips or chunks (I bought a sugar free dark chocolate bar and cut it into chunks myself).
- Drain and dry the chickpeas with a paper towel.
- Mix everything (except for the chocolate) in food processor or blender until a dough is formed. It should look just like a regular cookie dough, but the consistency's a lot lighter.
- Transfer the dough to a bowl and fold in your chocolate chips/chunks. You can use as many as you please.
- With the help of a spoon, drop some of the dough on a greased/lined cookie sheet, just the way you'd do with regular cookies.
- Place the cookies in the oven at 360° for around half an hour, or until edges start to golden. You can bring your oven to broil to make the top of the cookie golden, too.
And you're done! You can wait for them to cool, or risk burning your tongue by eating them straight out of the oven. Because that's what I did, and it was worth it.
This wheat-free chocolate chunk cookie recipe is by PumpUp member mariajumps. Keep her pumped on the PumpUp app here!